Bottle it and put it in a stocking, enjoy it with your snack of choice or toast with your extended family on a video call. Bathe in it if you like. Here is a small kindness from us to you as we celebrate the relaunch of Vicarage & Sons. Oh, and Christmas.
Makes 15 serving
For the mulled wine syrup:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- 7 star anise
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle of good quality red wine
- 10 cloves
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- Good quality sparkling wine
- Add all ingredients for the syrup except the sugar to a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, stir in the sugar, and continue to simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Strain the liquid and leave to cool.
- To serve, pour 25ml the syrup into a glass and top with 100ml sparkling wine. Add a squeeze of lemon, stir, and adjust to taste.